Saturday, April 16, 2011

An Intruder Upon My Property!

Yes, that's not me! This is DINKH (his name is all caps, which will be explained later). I realize I have not posted anything new in almost 8 months. I blame my human, who hasn't seen fit to keep the world updated with the exciting adventures in my life. OTOH, there really hasn't been that much excitement until about 3 weeks ago. Since dictating is kind of slow, I'm going to let JC do the reporting here, since he knows all the facts anyway.

[JC here. Thanks, Sherm!] On March 28th this year, Cindy (Sherm's other human) was taking Makeeta out for her morning walk, when she felt like she was being watched. Looking up at the back porch (image), she saw a pair of eyes staring at her. Her first reaction was "What is Sherman doing on the back porch?" followed by "That's not Sherman...". She proceeded to take Makeeta in through the front door, put her up, then come and find me. We look out the back door, and here's this mostly German Shepherd Dog curled up on the doormat in front of the door.

I go out through the front door, around the side, and at the corner I kneel down and cluck to the dog. He pops up, trots over and licks my hand. I see that he has a collar but no tags, and he's also limping on his back right leg a little. I call the office and tell them I'm going to be a little late coming in...

Grabbing a leash, I load him into the Shermobile (the 1993 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon), and carry him up to a local vet. We go in, and the receptionist tells us that the doctor is in surgery and won't be out for an hour, and a visit is $50. Apparently they have no rescue/stray pricing policies, which I consider pretty lame. The receptionist gets out the microchip scanner and runs it over him, but comes up with nothing. She offers to take a picture and put it on Facebook, so we do that. Checking later, I find that you have to 'friend' them to be able to *see* their pictures, so really, what's the point? You'd think a business would have a more public profile. Oh well.

Giving a call to our regular vet (Chateau Animal Hospital), they say they can see him any time. I swing back by the house to pick up Cindy and we motor out to CAH. Dr. Betteker checks him out, and believes him to have a damaged anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), but otherwise appears healthy. Age is estimated to be about 3 years, and oh yes, he's un-neutered. Oh a whim, I have him run a heartworm test, which comes up positive, to my dismay. Checkout cost is about $36, which is the office visit and heartworm check. I consider that quite acceptable. When they ask for his name, I tell them it's DINKH -- Dammit, I'm Not Keeping Him.

We have a couple crates available to house him in, so we bring one down to the basement. It's large enough for a few hours at a time, but not for extended living. I make a call to a friend ours, and on Tuesday night borrow a crate large enough for a small horse. Or at least a Great Dane... DINKH is installed into basement living quarters while we figure out what to do.

On the 29th I put an ad on CraigsList, with the closing sentence: "If this is your dog, email me and identify exactly what his collar looks like, and why I should give him back to you at all.". Why anyone has a 3 year old GSD with no tags, no chip, un-neutered and HW+ doesn't deserve to have this dog back. He's a super nice dog who deserves far better.

This post is getting a little long, so see part II for the rest of the story.

No comments: