Monday, November 9, 2009

FedEx Package To Adventure!

Woohoo! Excitement!

Last Thursday, Cindy was taking us out for our afternoon walkies, and as she and I were about to go back into the house, a FedEx truck pulled into the driveway. Just as she opened the door, Makeeta dashed out, barking like a crazy dog.

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but Makeeta is rather... defensive... about our house. When I say "defensive", I mean she takes guard duty very seriously. If a jogger goes by, Makeeta tells us all. If a car pulls into the driveway to turn around, Makeeta tells us all. If another dog walks through our yard, Makeeta tells us all. If an ant farts 100 yards away, Makeeta... Well, you get the idea.

Cindy's first thought was that it was a jogger, until she turned around and saw the truck starting to back in. Her first thought was hoping Makeeta didn't run into traffic and get hit by a car. Her second thought was hoping the truck didn't hit Makeeta. And lastly, her third thought was hoping the driver was smart enough to keep the door closed (he wasn't), since she wasn't completely sure what Makeeta might do.

Well, as Cindy was busy doing all this thinking and trying to shove me in the door, she didn't pull the door shut hard enough. So as soon as she turned her back, Moon and I dashed out too. Luckily, the truck didn't hit any of us, although I think it was slow enough for us to get out of the way. It's those fast moving prey... er, cars... that really hurt.

When the truck stopped, Makeeta stopped. And stood there. Looking somewhat puzzled, and probably thinking to herself, "What the hell do I do with it now?". I, being a lover and not a biter, hopped into the truck and asked the driver what he was doing. Moon just kinda stood there, wagging her tail (did you know her nickname is "lump"?)

Cindy caught up to Makeeta and got the leash snapped her, at the same time telling the driver not to worry, and then dragged Makeeta back into the house. She was somewhat uncooperative with that, since all the action was in the driveway. Trucks! Dogs! Humans! On her property! The castle MUST be defended!

After Makeeta has been returned to the house (while still barking furiously) and the door firmly closed, Cindy comes back to get us (I figured I didn't need rescuing, so she much have been thinking about Moon). The driver had gotten out of the truck with the package (I wonder what's in it?) and I hopped out after him. He keeps trying to hand her the package, and she keeps telling him "Just wait a minute, OK?"

Cindy is now worried that because I'm not in the truck, she can't catch me. She starts squeaking, "C'mon, Sherman, come get me!" and runs towards the house. She's using that high voice that's supposed to get my interest, and she expects me to give chase, but I'm not following for that old trick! It worked with jc when I broke loose a few weeks ago, but I learned something there. Oh no, I'm smarter than that now!

At this point, the FedEx driver is laughing pretty hard, so I'm now looking at him. Cindy comes back, calls me, and starts running again, and I slip-up and start chasing her. Damn that overriding prey drive! It's like a siren song. Something moves, I go. So we start back to the house, and here's Moon, who has grown disinterested in the truck and driver, and is rolling in the leaves. Cindy reaches for me, and the spell is broken! I run!

Where? Back to the truck, which I hopped back into. I figured he's a truck driver, trucks go places, I'm a dog that's going places, this could work! I notice as I hop in that the driver is still trying to give the package to Cindy, and he's still laughing about our antics.

Unfortunately, leaping back into the truck revealed a flaw in my plan. I could be caught! And without the driver in the truck, I was a dog that wasn't going anywhere, and fast. Cindy makes it to the truck, and I'm hiding under the steering wheel (maybe she won't see me). She manages to snag my collar, tells me I can't drive (wasn't gonna! That's what the driver is for!) and *snap*, on goes the leash. Luckily for her and me, neither of us knocked the truck out of gear, and it didn't go rolling down the driveway into the house, or onwards into the woods. Out of the truck I am dragged...

She gets the package from the driver, who is trying not to grin like an idiot. Moon follows us into the house, the door is closed, the leash put up. Now normally, after we come back in from 3 o'clock walkies, we get cookies. So we all headed to the cookie closet, and sit expectantly. And you know what?

WE DIDN'T GET ANY COOKIES!

I did finally find out what was in the package when jc got home. Parts for the big noisy floor sucking thing. Which I like to bark at and chase. Game on!

*woof*

No comments: