Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Today, We Dine On Chipmunk!

Yesterday was fun! Cindy took me out for my afternoon yard patrol/duty walk, and I saw a squirrel. Even though I'm not supposed to, I went after it, yanking the leash I keep Cindy on (so she doesn't get lost) out of her hand. I chased the stupid squirrel up the tree, then sat under it, barking like a mad dog.

I saw Cindy getting closer and decided she needed some play-time, so I ran off a ways so she could chase me. Every time she got close, I'd run off again. We went up and down the backyard, back and forth, and I was having a great old time.

Then I saw the chipmunk. I chased that little rodent and caught him. I was busy getting ready to have lunch, when Cindy caught up (I guess I wasn't paying attention closely enough to my human). She grabbed me and made me drop it.

It ran off a couple feet, turned around, and RAN RIGHT BACK INTO MY MOUTH! Oh, I was so ready for that taste of warm fresh-killed meat. Then Cindy made me drop it again. That sucker was just about down my throat, and just the tail was hanging out of my mouth. And she made me drop it... sigh. It's so hard to have fun.

After she made me drop it, it didn't move again. I'm pretty sure I killed the little guy, at least if the ripped throat and blood everywhere was any indication. Oh well, while I didn't get to eat it, at least some lucky hawk will have a free lunch. [jc's note: Hawk taking a squirrel video].

[cindy's note: It's not the eating of the chipmunk I really object to, it's the cleaning up after Sherman when a digestive system used to kibble is suddenly fed something radically out of the norm. If you get my drift...]

4 comments:

Beckett said...

Sherman, you are truly an inspiration.

Beckett

Indy said...

Wow! So you found a suicidal chipmunk and I found a suicidal squirrel! Also, once a few years ago a baby cockatiel got out of the back room and flew right into my mouth! Mom made me drop it and he was okay.
Why do humans ruin our fun?

Indy said...

Forgot to say, the baby cockatiel incident was at a PetSmart.

Sherman said...

Indy, that just rocks! Snagging a bird, in a PetsMart, no less!

My human claims he doesn't let me do things "for my own good". Silly humans, what do they know? Always walking around looking like they're about to fall over.

4 legs good, 2 legs bad! :) But at least they can operate can openers and round door knobs.