Monday, September 22, 2008

Hi, I'm Sherman (part II)

In my last post, I told you how I wound up with jc, Cindy, Makeeta and Moon.

The first couple weeks after I was in my new home, Makeeta pretty much ignored me. I'd try to get her to play, but she'd just kinda lift her lip and snarl. Then she warmed up, and we're like best-buds now. On a normal day, we wrestle quite a bit, and chase each other in a loop through the living room and kitchen.

We've got some toys we play with. There's a loop of rope with a handle, and I'll get her or one of the humans to play tug with me. I think they're surprised just how strong I am, even though I only weigh about 70 pounds. Makeeta is a little bigger than me, about 85 pounds or so, and man, can she pull! I put all my weight and strength into it, and she STILL drags me backwards.

There's also some plastic bones I like to chew on. On the ride home, we stopped at some place called Petsmart that had a lot of food and toys and stuff. I got a bath there, and they cut some mats out of my ears and back end. Yvonne and her friends gave me a bath before I left, but some of those mats were pretty tough, and I think they didn't want to make me look too stupid with a bunch of fur missing. I feel a lot better without them, and I look more handsome (*grin*). Anyways, at Petsmart, they got me a Nylabone. It kinda tastes like ham, but not really. I've chewed it down about half-way now.

Sometimes I'll be chewing on the bone and leave it for a minute to go check something out, and Makeeta will run over and grab it, and then lay on it. She's not even chewing it! I think she's doing that to tell me she's the boss. She's older, bigger, and a girl, so I guess it's true. I don't really care, as long as she likes me.

I keep trying to get Moon to play, but I think she's a lost cause. I overheard the humans saying something about she may have been owned by an older couple or something and never learned how. Moon either ignores me, or just growls. Makeeta says she's tried to get her to play the last couple years with the same results. Oh well, her loss! It's fun to charge through the house, chase the ball, play tug, or whatever.

I think she might know how to fight, though. A couple times while Makeeta and I were learning to play nice together, we got into some fights. Then Moon tried to jump in. I don't know if she was trying to help me, help Makeeta, or just bite one of us. We all got yelled at real bad. jc can shout"NO!" so loudly it nearly scares the pee out of me. He'll wade in between us and yank us apart. I'm pretty sure if I bit him, even accidentally, my furry little butt would be in deep, deep trouble. Luckily, I'm a lover, not a biter.

jc says he has to go to work, and he'll finish typing for me later. Next time I'll tell you about how I tried to learn to read.

No comments: